View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008, 10:58 PM
'Thanks' Button Team Community Member T.K.S.

Location: with the Brady Bunch, honey bunch,and now the crazy bunch
15 yr Member
'Thanks' Button Team Community Member T.K.S.

Location: with the Brady Bunch, honey bunch,and now the crazy bunch
15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabimax View Post
cool idea..and wow what a wonderful walk you had...the water the moon...the candle lights....what a nice walk...you shared with us..hugsssss

I dont have proposal ideas..my mind isnt working quite right yet....just trying to get back into life, your description of your walk made me smile...thanks...hugssss,sarah
hi sarah, I wish I would've brought my camera, it was awesome...we live on the coast so it would go from rain to sunny within minutes...and the artist in the sky paints awesome paintings all the time..(((((HUGS)))))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala77 View Post
Here's a little information about "Earth Hour" where people agreed to switch off their lights for one full hour in a bid to help the fight against global warming.

Sydney was the first major city to begin "Earth Hour", when in 2007 the lights went out across the city, including landmarks like the Opera House and Harbour Bridge. With approx. 2 million residents taking part, it was estimated that energy usage was decreased by more than 10% in that one hour, and in Bangkok this year, 73.34 megawatts of electricity which would have produced 45.8 tonnes of carbon dioxide, was saved.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7319929.stm

This year more than 50 million people around the world, in more than 35 countries across seven continents, including Antarctica, and across more than 18 different time zones turned off their lights for "Earth Hour". http://www.earthhour.org/

I'm thinking that people in positions like Mayors and Senators are often more easily swayed towards new ideas if they think they're saving money.

Maybe you could present a proposal based on the pinciples of Earth Hour. I'd suggest that you do a little research as to the amount of energy that would be saved using figures already estimated by other areas across the world that participated in Earth hour. The Energy savings could then be converted to $$ saved for your council, county or municipality. Empty buildings don't need light, but I'm sure you'll see many hundreds, or even thousands, of empty buildings lit up like lighthouses at night.

With a proposal such as this which covers energy saved, monetary savings, and benefits to the environment, not forgetting the benefits to the family structure, hopefully your Mayor might look favourably towards it.
hi Anne, thanks so much for the info, that's it, Earth Hour...

I will look it up and I like the proposal of the converted savings for the council. I have been very fortunate to run into my current friend/client. He is a very deep thinker and when we get together, we bounce off ideas off of each other...

he is also a brilliant man who is self-made...and I am learning a lot from him...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyL View Post
What you have, well, words can't describe it. I have only Alan. Not much close connection to family, my son is gone from our lives. And my best friend of 46 years betrayed me.

But then I get up in the morning, (like I did this morning), I went to breakfast meeting up with some good friends, and we laugh, and then I went to get my flu shot AND I WALKED HOME FROM MY DOCTOR'S OFFICE.

5 Avenues by the way. Don' know how to explain how far this is, but IT'S A LONG LONG LONG WALK. I just looked at the beauty that was in nature and I enjoyed the walk. I'm just HAPPY I CAN WALK.

I've learned to stop and smell the roses and not sweat the stuff I can't change. It's really all any of us can do. We make choices. Some of us make bad ones and some of us make better ones.

I have learned the benefit of making good choices.

Now you indicate you want to give back.

Let me tell you something.

When you write the stuff that you write, WELL YOU GIVE BACK.

We all learn, and we all feel a bit better from that. At least I do.

I try and conserve electricity as much as I can. Turn off this when not in use, turn off that when not in use.

That's about all I CAN DO FROM MY END.

Just know that you DO make a difference.

And that's important.

Melody

thanks very much for your input, mel...

I think a lot of us truly caring citizens such as yourself do the little things that really make differences. And I think by recycling, by doing our little thing such as changing all our lightbulbs to the energy bulbs help also...

and really, that is all we can do, especially when a lot of us are in pain both physically and mentally and really...we ARE making a difference..

I'll admit, I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew...

yet, the opportunity has presented itself to me...I consider myself lucky...I am in a position where I know someone who is in power to make a difference. He's actually interested in my inputs...

I think we all walk different paths, right or wrong, we have to take a chance sometimes...

this is a chance that currently, I'd like to take...because I felt that if I hadn't gone out for a walk that day, if the electricity hadn't gone out, I would still be sitting infront of the computer sulking...

it opened my eyes that day...it helped brought me out of a rut that I had been in for awhile now...

so, I am going to take advantage of that...

with that said...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I really have been thinking about this for awhile now...

I have looked up how energy is wasted vs how it is being used.

For example (I am going to give out quasi numbers just to make a point and it is not actual figures)

let's say an electric plant is about 30 miles from you. Let's just say that it makes 30 miles of grid line (to make the math easy).

let's say that for every second that you have one light bulb/lightbulb on, 3watts of energy are being used.

However, it took 80 watts of energy for this energy to get to you.

Sure, we only pay for what we use (supposedly) but there are 80 watts being lost...

that 80 watts ARE LOST...

(if any engineers can correct me and give me exact figures, that would be awesome)

lost energy means lost of money...and that's where I think we can save...

one hour...once a week...

and I was thinking only promoting this during the months where it is comfortable.

I wouldn't try this year long especially during summer time, that might create more fire...

I was also thinking of promoting this more along a line of long term vs. fad.

We all know how fad gets caught on and then it just dies...I've seen many ideas that were great and they'd come and go...

what I am thinking is long term...planting a seed into the younger children...

that years from now, when they move somewhere else, and they think about the quality time they have spent with their families sitting by the candle light...that it would make them want to turn off the lights with their kids...

saving energy and spending quality time together...

and it doesn't even have to be lighting up the candle. Perhaps going out for a walk...or whatever activity...

I know, big task...that is why I love the inputs...

thanks everyone...

"you're entering, the

zone..."
who moi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
allentgamer (10-16-2008), houghchrst (10-17-2008), Koala77 (10-15-2008), Vonn07 (10-16-2008)