View Single Post
Old 10-16-2008, 01:27 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Sally.

Whether we have MS or not, these type of adjustments are often required as we age. Of course it seems to happen at a younger age for those of us with a chronic illness of any sort.

My Grandma out-lived 3 husbands, and the last 20 yrs she said "why am I still alive?". She was reasonably healthy into her late 80's, and even when she wasn't, she refused to go in a home.

My ex-FIL had to be put in a home in his 70's. We tried everything (including living with him), but he was still a danger to himself. When it got to the point where he spent more time in the ER or hospital then at home, we had to put him in a facility with round-the-clock care.

My biggest fear is SUDDEN disability that lasts. I've been paralyzed twice, and both times I had a significant chance of no recovery from the get-go. I did recover, fortunately . . . but knowing the kind of attacks I most often have, that IMMEDIATE scare is always in the back of my mind.

Most likely, you have time to plan and make adjustments. Unfortunately that may mean some hard decisions have to be made along the way, so that you may have a more "progressive" approach to less independence . . . but you do have some control over this as you go along. That is a better then the alternative though, don't you think? (Trying to look at the bright side )

This is hard, Sally, I know. I feel for you, and know these adjustments are not easy ones. We've had to make so many with this disease though (should I have kids?, should I go to part-time?, should I quit work? should I get a one-level house even if I am only 35 yrs old?, etc.). This is another adjustment.

Cherie
"Thanks for this!" says:
azoyizes (10-16-2008), barb02 (10-16-2008), ewizabeth (10-16-2008), FranksAngel (10-19-2008), Jappy (10-16-2008), KarenMarie (10-20-2008), Kitty (10-16-2008), MSacorn (10-18-2008), SallyC (10-16-2008), weegot5kiz (10-17-2008)