View Single Post
Old 11-16-2006, 04:42 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Default Speaking of vitamin D and sunlight...

Food for thought...

I live in a state of Australia where the rates of melanoma and skin cancer are extremely high. It used to be the highest rate in the entire world, not sure if it still is now. In the past year it has been suggested, based on studies from temperate climates in the world, that we are perhaps covering our skin too much when exposed to the sun. However, we don't live in a temperate climate so there is a lot of work being done in this area at the moment here in my state to clarify our individual situation. For decades we have been advised to cover our skin in the sun. We have a motto here that is just automatic now and one we've been teaching our children and our children's children, 'cause so many of the people my age have skin damage or worse from sun exposure. The aussie motto is Slip, slop, slap. Slip on a shirt, slop on the sunscreen, slap on a hat. Every Australian would know it. Now we're hearing conflicting reports... that we may have been covering up too much, or have we?

[EDITED to add: I forgot to add... my area has an average of about 300 days of sunshine a year. That's average. Some years much more, some less.]

Quote:
Study of Vitamin D levels in Brisbane
<snipped article>
The results of our recent research suggest that some adult living in South East Queensland are also vitamin D deficient or have low levels of vitamin D (8% and 23% respectively). These unexpected findings suggest that some Queenslanders may have moderated their outdoor activity and clothing in order to protect themselves from UV.

Therefore, low vitamin D levels may be a public health issue for some population sub-groups living in sunny climates. However, as Queensland has extreme levels of ambient UV and a very high incidence of skin cancer, considerable attention needs to be paid to the accuracy of guidelines about maintaining adequate vitamin D levels through sun exposure and/or supplementation. Queenslanders need clear public health messages (formulated from evidence-based guidelines) that provide information about the relevance to them of media messages from more temperate climates. Health authorities will be unable to provide suitable guidance until a thorough investigation of the vitamin D levels of the Queensland population has been undertaken.

Pilot data generated by this project would also provide a basis for the further investigation of sensible evidence-based guidelines on UV exposure, which balance the need for sun-protection and adequate vitamin D levels, and consider the different requirements of people living in sub-tropical and tropical Australia. Such guidelines should reduce public confusion and prevent changes in behaviour which may ultimately lead to an increase in the incidence of skin cancer.
bold added by me.
http://www.uv.hlth.qut.edu.au/research/index.jsp
The Australian Sun and Health Research Laboratory
Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation

from Cancer Council of Australia
Risks and Benefits of Sun Exposure Statement

Last edited by Lara; 11-16-2006 at 05:14 PM.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote