Thread: double shunting
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2008, 12:08 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Colloid cyst and VP shunts

I was diagnosed with a 16mm colloid cyst in July 2008. The two neurosurgeons I was recommended treating the hydrocephalus with a shunt instead of removing the cyst because of the risk of cyst removal. The risk of cyst removal is damage to the fornix which is where short term memory is stored. Both of these surgeons said they had seen people whose lives were devastated by short term memory loss. I chose to follow their advice because I knew that the shunt was a less invasive approach to treating my condition. On Aug. 7, 2008 I had a VP shunt placed. The surgeon was able to make a hole in the septum between the two lateral ventricles so the CSF would communicate and the two ventricles could be drained by one shunt. In two weeks following surgery I saw a dramatic improvement in my neurologic symptoms and by six weeks I felt I was fully recovered. I am the first person this surgeon had treated with a shunt. The other 30 to 50 people he has treated he removed the cyst and I know he saw some people have memory deficits. After seeing my positive outcome he is convinced that shunting is the best treatment for colloid cysts. I am not thrilled to now be shunt dependent, but I am thrilled to have my brain function including short term memory be intact. I am satisfied with my situation and expect to have a long future without shunt complications. I feel I made the best decision about treatment for my condition. Good luck with your decision.
Janie 54 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote