Thread: Cognition
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2008, 01:46 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Cognition

One of the first and most bothersome features of cognition, is that no one, aside from yourself, knows exactly how you think; how your thought process works. They can show in what area of the brain thought takes place; they can pretty much list the chemicals that assist in the process, however they do not know your brain in particular. What I am trying, (and failing miserably at), to explain is that we know personally how hard we have to work on any and every aspect of our thought process. For instance: if I asked you what 1+1 was, you would instanly say 2. Now if I asked you what pi was, or what it is out to 100 digits, well even I myself cannot do either, but if I had to it would take a lot of work and thought. Meaning the time for me to answer some questions are easy, while others take a bit of time; NORMALLY. Now when MS get's in the way, (and this can be a permanent condition, or something due to fatigue) 1+1 can take a second or two. Still, most people would not notice the change and so would find it hard to believe you when you say you're having trouble with cognition. So what do you do when that happens? The very first thing you need not to do, is get angry or frustraited. When you do, you lose control of the situation. No, what you need to do first, even before reporting the problem, is calmly evaluate yourself. Sit quietly and see if you are more tired than usual. Then take a look at what is going on right then and ask if your stress level is up. Another thing to check is how hard are you pushing your brain to get back to what you see as normal? Based on these answers, you can almost see the solution. Slow down your thought process to the point where you are thinking in a more deliberate manner, meaning you are considering your answers. Also, break up a thought into smaller parts. Cognition is messing me up right now, so I am 'chipping away' at what I want to say. I also had to ask my wife to hold her questions and usual fussing until I am done typping. This reduced the amount of distractions, and made it easier to concentrait on what I had to say. Anyway, I hope you get the how to process. You also store what you are doing thought wise, away as information you will share with your doctor the next time you see them.

Now then, I am going to stop here and post as I have several other things that need my attention here, and guys we all know what happens when you put your wife on hold for too long.

MSDave
MSDave is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DM (10-22-2008), FinLady (10-18-2008), KarenMarie (10-22-2008), Riverwild (10-22-2008), SallyC (10-21-2008)