Old 10-18-2008, 11:51 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desinie View Post
Hi Frank and Cherie,
Thanks for your responses and for the tips, Cherie. I was part of the LDN Yahoo group for a long time prior to going on it last time and for the whole time I was on it. I did write in to the group a bunch of times with questions etc.. but they weren't very nice when you suggested their drug of choice didn't work for you. Right away it had to be something else causing it, whether the filler not a high enough dose, etc.

Like I said, I was on 3 mg. I did however, start out the first few days @ 1.5 mg and got my LDN from Skip's in 1.5 mg capsules. I think it can't hurt to try it again, right? I have some left from before, but I suppose it has lost it's effectiveness by now. I'll let yous know when I start it and how I'm doing on it. I'm glad to see how many of you are noticing improvements on it.
It's too bad you had that experience.

The points they made, about fillers and compounding pharmacies, etc. are legitimate. I don't buy mine from Skip's cause I am in Canada, but I always recommend that others do because I know he is reliable. It sounds like you did all the right things though . . . but it doesn't work for everyone (and/or not necessarily right away) with symptoms.

I wasn't expecting any improvement in symptoms, to be honest. I had had MS for about 14 yrs, and had had some pretty bad attacks that left a lot of damage . . . so I thought I was a lost cause. I really just went on it because I had nothing to lose, and I was hoping it would slow progression. I was one of the lucky ones, for sure.

One thing I learned, and only recently, is the part about everyone adapting at a different pace. If you go back about 3 or 4 pages on this thread, Sally and I were talking about whether 1.75mg was "enough", and during that research I read that some people might take quite some time to adapt to any increase in dosage above 1.0 mg. I am very sensitive to meds, and only had about 2 weeks of side-effects when I started at 3.0 mg. It seems some people might experience that for several weeks, and I can see how that would be discouraging.

That's why I think it might be worthwhile for you to start out at 1.5mg this time, and take it much slower then last. You are on Copaxone anyway, so LDN will just be double-protection, with hopefully some long-term affect on symptoms. No need to rush . . .

I understand that Naltrexone has a short shelf-life, something like one year . . . so I agree you should get a fresh batch.

Good luck, and take it slow (especially if you have trouble with cold/spasticity).

Cherie
"Thanks for this!" says:
Desinie (10-19-2008), Tree55 (10-20-2008), Twinkletoes (10-18-2008)