View Single Post
Old 10-20-2008, 04:35 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melek View Post
I had a concussion 3 years ago. I ended up in the hospital last week with what the doctors thought was a heart attack, I had all the triggers of having a heart attack. After doing tests, stress test, the doctors said it was a panic attack or anxiety attack.

Has anyone had similar issues i.e. panic attacks and/or anxiety attacks with TBI/PCS?

Thanks

Melek
Yes. Many episodes of acute anxiety/panic/agoraphobia for years after the skull fracture. Then a year of full-blown panic after the second round of meningitis. Good psychologist mentioned that while I may not be able to prevent the onset of this, I could learn to not react to it and make it worse.

Then, some years after the shotgun barrel was smashed across my nose/forehead twice, combined with the discovery of some issues with industrial chemical compounds in the workplace, I experienced a rise in anxiety/panic incidents. Around this time I started taking clonazepam (after two years of trying every other med in the book). Success...but the pill is not a cure-all. I have to work hard with my thoughts and emotions as well. Still have those days, eh?

Obviously everyone is different...I know many of my brain injuries are from disease and serious toxins. Sure had my share of blunt trauma, too. The right doctor with the right method, and possibly meds, and this can be dealt with.

Good luck...I know it's unsettling when it first happens. It can be managed so you can have a much better quality of life.
Fogbrain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote