View Single Post
Old 11-17-2006, 06:16 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Chasmo (and all)

You know what a weiny I am when it comes to DBS (as are many of us). I phoned my doc who had talked to another neuro who i used to go to. He said"ya I remember that cs guy, tell him that he should get the DBS done at Columbia in NYC as soon as possible". My doc also said "things are getting smaller"; he really has my best interests at stake.
But, i still say that there is a small, non-neurotoxic molecule that can get those "compromised but not dead" dopaminergic neurons firing.
If Daffy is right, the SN neurons are just sitting there waiting for something to restore their function in numbers that will make a difference.
What have they tested? Apparently not gene therapy. Apparently not stem cells. Apparently not a host of supposedly "bad" things like MMDA, cocaine, heroin, and many many other small molecules that act on the receptorology of dopamine reuptake inhibition or dopamine release.
Somebody give me a good answer why dopaminergic cells are better utilized by coaxing by electical stimulation than by small molecules?
Untill the "real" data is in, I'm not bying DBS
ol'cs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote