Thread: Cognition
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2008, 11:53 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

"I don't have a severe cognition problem (yet) but I do have some serious memory issues, which for more than a year I complained to doctors about. They'd give me a brief standard test , like remembering a short list of things, which they would then ask me to recall 10 minutes later. Only thing was that kind of thing wasn't my problem. My problem was remembering the name of a coworker I'd worked with for 3 years, while I was face to face talking to them!"

A few things here... I know that test myself and didn't used to do too well with it, however I figured out a way to beat it for me; still.... that test only evaluates short term memory. Secondly, yours is the great example of the communication problem between doctor and patient. The doc has their own targeted adgenda and most of what you say is ignored or blown off if it does'nt support the doctors postition. In these cases, like you did, you just need to keep hammering until they see what you're telling them, and understand that it IS a big deal.

"I think that's sort of the thing you're talking about here. No one really understands how your mind works or what your strengths are, so if there is a change, it isn't always obvious to others. (Am I close?)"

Spot on! You are right, 'they' do not know you like you do. Again, this is where getting right to YOUR point, and staying there until 'they' understand, is so important. Spending time in thought about what you want to say, before your appointment can help greatly here. Remember that most doctors like an appointment to go no more than 30 minutes, minus any labs or special testing, so try to fit what you want to say, inside of that time frame.

"The name and word memory is bad enough, cause I get corrected all the time when I use the wrong word--like call the chair a table. I know I just need to learn to laugh about it, but it's hard to laugh when MS is doing weird things to your brain!"

Yeah, I wish I could say that it will pass, but everyone on this board would know I was lying. Still, there are things you can do to help yourself. Try to automate as much of your day as possible, meaning as much as possible do things that you need to do daily, at the same time and way each day. They get to be a habit and you can then do them without thinking about them. Try keeping a notebook with you and figure out a type of short hand that will work for you, and allow you to take notes when and where needed.

"I think of all the little stuff I have to deal with from one day to the next, the stuff happening in my brain is absolutely the scariest!"

Thie one both frustraits and scares me bigtime. There was a time in the Army, where I would be talking on 6 different radios, AND talking to my troops in person, AND figuring out our next move in combat mode, all at one time! I did that as easy as breathing too. Now I'm lucky if I can handle on conversation for longer than 20 minutes.

MSDave
MSDave is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
weegot5kiz (10-23-2008)