View Single Post
Old 11-17-2006, 08:32 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Lois, regarding:

"I'm not sure if the MG has actually gotten a little worse, or if my body has gotten adjusted to the Mestinon so that I need to keep increasing the dosage to get the same effect."

Number one, I really understand what you are saying here. I am the same way. However, I don't think I can increase my Mestinon anymore. I take 1 1/2 Mestinon tablets every 3 hours (90 mgs). If I take anymore or closer in time I get those ill effects. About my 4th year into having MG my Neurologist suggested I try taking 1 1/2 tablet every 3 hours instead of 1 every 3 hours. At first I noticed an improvement with occasional ill effects and now I think I am used to it. Originally, I started out taking 1 pill every 6 hrs or so and gradually increased the amount and decreased the time between dosages. I don't have ill effects very often anymore, but if I do, I take 1 to 2 Imodium (usually 2 does the trick) and then I am somewhat constipated for a day Oh well Also, I need to have food in my stomach and will eat crackers, or if too weak I will drink milk or Ensure (usually drink one Ensure a day) with my Mestinon.

I only take Mestinon. I usually take 1 1/2 pills every 3 to 4 hours depending on how I feel. I do know that REST is like medicine for me. Sometimes, if I feel extra out of breath and/or real weak and fatigued, and it is time to take another dosage, I lay down FIRST of all. Then, sometimes I take my Mestinon or wait 30 to 60 minutes (when I usually start to begin feeling better). It is sometimes too hard to swallow my pill, also. That is why I wait the 30-60 minutes.

Also, I like to exercise about 30 minutes at least every other day and that seems to help me feel better.

Hope this helps.
snidermame is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizzymum42 (10-20-2013)