View Single Post
Old 10-20-2008, 05:37 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Hello there GTBC0906, and welcome to NeuroTalk.

I can understand your concern after being told your EKG was abnormal, but please be reassured that although there are many irregularities that could show up, few would actually cause you any problems at all.

Not everyone has a normal reading, but many people never even know unless for some reason they're sent for a check up.

Anxiety and smoking are two things that will cause an increase in your heart rate, where-as high cholesterol shouldn't change it in any way. Did the doctor happen to say just what the irregularity is, or give you any information about it at all?

The echocardiogram is (in simple words) a non-invasive scan of the inside of your heart. It shows up the valves and can tell if any of them aren't functioning properly. It will give your doctor information as to how effectively your heart is functioning right now.

The stress test shows how your heart works under pressure. My DH had one of those just last week, and he had to do things like ride a bike and walk on a treadmill while they measured his heart rate, blood pressure and a continuous EKG.

I hope that helps to ease some of your concerns.

Koala77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote