View Single Post
Old 10-20-2008, 06:59 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Jess PLEASE!

Pay attention to your body!?!?!?!?!!!
You have a lot of unique and peculiar chemical processes going on inside you...some of it genetic possibly, others simply chemcial changes brought on by responses to past illness or other insults [be they trauma, toxic or who knows what?] to your body. OVERDOING in any way that USED to be normal is NOT any more!
It is a two edged sword we all deal with in that we want very much to be as normal as possible as from 'before', your body screams STOP and your mind says GO! Your body is sending out protests in the only ways it knows how. Put off plans for anything major and start SLOWLY as if a newbie into that activity. You MUST go slow! Rushing things can produce additional damages.
When I was Way younger there was an old axium about athletics...for every day out of training --take three days for each day off to 'get back' to the 'before'. With the nerves, I'd give it a cautious five, and I am dreadfully serious about this. That is why with those who were as equally hurt as I was at first, I caution about the over-eager physical therapists...they've no knowledge of how fragile nerves are with many/most neuropathies-we have to educate them and it is hard to do. Every training step has to be slow, pre-meditated, cautious and super-duper careful. I can't stress this enough. Low impact, pilates-type and water exercises seem to cause the least damages at first. Building up from there? Well don't try to be a super-athelete for at least another year, once you are SURE nothing is progressing worse. The exercises you are doing now might just be a contributor to aggravating issues somehow.
Right now, you must treat your body as the precious miracle that it is! And, to allow it to heal, you've got to give it the rest and right exercises that can help it get better. This is a bitter concept to embrace, but a necessary one. Many [most] of the exercises done to build strength and flexibility are frankly BORING? But they are extraordinarily useful in maintaining basic functions from which to regain prior abilities once the time comes. Tired and pain do come with the territory, but caution helps manage it all. So, don't give up, just be super careful! Hope - don't lose it! 's - j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote