View Single Post
Old 10-20-2008, 08:32 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I've had DBS surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhtom View Post
I am interested in learning more about DBS, but most of the info on-line addresses the procedure itself. I would like to know: How do Dr's determine whether you are a suitable candidate for DBS? Also, what type of recovery time is involved after before you return to "normal" (working, etc).
I had DBS surgery last December (2007). Since DBS surgery is extremely invasive, the doctors will want you to try medications first. There are about 10-15 different ones (i tried about 6 of them....some are similar enough that if one of them didn't work, ones like them won't either). The reason for different trials of meds is 1) the insurance won't usually cover the surgery unless other avenues have been exhausted, and 2) sometimes people do very well on medications for several years. The recovery time: I had my surgery 12/19/07, was out of the hospital on 12/21/07 and was ready to return to work in a month. Amazing huh?! I was amazed at how quickly the recovery was. I was told it takes 4-8 months for all the internal swelling to go down but it doesn't interfere with normal tasks after about a week or two. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. Carol~*~
Carol~*~ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote