View Single Post
Old 10-20-2008, 09:21 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vowel Lady
Thank you everyone. Your posts really touched my heart and were helpful.

Last night continued to be very difficult. I ended up with a migraine and this morning I woke up with a headache. First thing this morning our doxie went looking for the dalmation and it broke my heart. DH and I never thought about it before, but now we are wondering what percentage of the time owners end up having to put their dogs down like this. My husband did this once with a previous pet and I did not go and we have had another pet actually die while he was at the vet's office being treated for serious illness.

This morning, I put a little photo of the dalmation on the piano with a lighted candle next to it. Perhaps some time later, I will get a larger one and put the collar nearby. I really can't look at the collar now.

Mrs. D...I did not know about the biting reputations of dalmations originally. Our dau is adopted and has a big heart. My thought was that she would not be able to cope with the thought of the dog being brought to the pound. I recall vividly how sweet he was to the two of us, so it was a big surprise when he didn't like my husband and son (at first). However, within a few days he was okay with them and in time, he really loved them too. However, it took many, many years before he was good with any other males. He also didn't really like children. Therefore, taking care of him was always extra work. Extra work because of his potential to bite and also because we did not get him as a puppy and he was not completely housebroken.

So only the immediate family could really enjoy him...particularly my daughter and I. He also liked one of my girlfriends...thank goodness. Sometimes she would take care of him if we went on short trips. He was a "ladies man!" LOL!

Over the years...people told me plenty of stories about the biting habits of dalmations. "Fear biting," is what some people called it. He seemed territorial to me. It was as if he only "loved" my daughter and I and that was it. He also seem to really liked my girlfriend. My son and husband came along with the package and eventually they became close. Men...well, they had to prove themselves to him first. Otherwise, they might get bitten. This dog had issues with them.

Well, I didn't shower yesterday.
I think it is time.

This is one aspect of pet ownership that I was not truly prepared for. My heart goes out to all here with aging pets. It is a heartbreaker.

Vowel Lady - I am so sorry to hear that your companion has died. I know your pain. Our wonderful boxer, "Henry" died this morning. He was such a joy to us! He was 3 1/2 years old and his death was very unexpected. He was given to me as an anniversay gift 3 years ago and died on our anniversary. I wonder if there is a message there? He was just a kind, mild mannered, gentleman and we are heartbroken.

I guess time will heal us both...
Leslie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Vowel Lady (11-14-2008)