View Single Post
Old 10-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkletoes View Post
Melody, I didn't catch the show, but thank you for your post.

So sorry about your son. That's just crazy. Good for you for sending him the link to the Dr. Phil show.

On one hand you give thanks he's not addicted to cocaine or heroine, but have to question if his quality of life is any better with this game addiction.

Makes you wonder: if his apartment caught fire while he was playing, would he be able to break away in time?

Mel, have you ever watched the TV series, "Intervention"? I'm not a regular viewer, but I did see them intervene with a video addict. His whole family was there begging him to give up his games. I think he had a fiancee too.

The ultimatum was, in order for his family to continue their love and support, he would have to go into a treatment facility for addicts. He wasn't too sold on that idea, but I think he finally agreed to do it.

Thanks for spreading the word so people can become more aware of this dangerous virtual lifestyle.
Hi Twinks:

When my son was 18 he was awarded a FULL scholarship to a technical. Just to show you how intelligent (which has absolutely nothing to do with addiction by the way), when he was about the same age, he expressed a desire to join the army. We took him down to the local recuiter and they make you take a test on some computer. He got 100. The recruiter looked at us and said "oh, he's a smart one". But because he was 40 lbs overweight (and they measured his neck/waist ratio because sometimes you can get around the weight thing. But he didn't pass. The recruiter told him to go on Stacker 2 (that this is what they TELL ALL THE KIDS WHO WANT TO JOIN BUT WHO DON'T MAKE THE WEIGHT REQUIREMENT. They tell them to go on Stacker 2 and they will lose weight.

My son went on Stacker 2, lost the 40 or so lbs, but by that time he lost his desire to join any kind of army, navy, etc.

So he went to college. Aced every single test he took. Did this in high school too. But by that time he also always played his video games.

And I don't think there's a bit of difference whatever the addiction is. Whether it's cocaine, meth, smoking, food, IT'S AN ADDICTION.

If it doesn't affect your metabolism (like food), well then it affects your health, (alcohol, drugs, also food too).

Everyone has their poison. Ever hear the expression "what's your poison".

In my son's case, it's both gambling and online gaming. And virtual reality worlds.

And if his apartment caught fire, I have no idea what the heck would happen because we can't do anything about anything.

I have attended Gamblers Anon meetings, I have gone to Aspergers support group meetings. I have even started one of my own online.

The bottom line (and I've seen Intervention), we did this with my son. We wrote letters, his aunt tried to reach him, my friends tried to get through to him. He wasn't having ANY OF THIS.

I especially like to watch THE CLEANER. William Banks is my kind of guy. He doesn't make excuses about any addictions. When someone (whatever their addiction), when they try to rationalize why they drink, gamble, shoot up, WHATEVER, he looks at them and says "that's a load of bull and you know it, you have to get clean or YOURSELF".

That is my absolute favorite show on television.

I wish there was a William Banks for my son.

But I gave him the information. What he does with it is HIS business.

I'm done. It almost destroyed my health.

Can't go to that place in my head anymore.

Addiction (in any form) ruins lives and families.

And yet, the Tobacco company still makes cigs, Alcohol is still legal (even with young adults gettin arrested every day for DUI's.

I don't know what is going on with the world.

It seems like everyone of our young adults needs a sitter (to mind them, to make sure they don't screw up).

There aren't enough sitters, are there??

mel

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
KarenMarie (10-21-2008), Twinkletoes (10-21-2008), Vonn07 (10-21-2008)