Thread: Lipitor
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2006, 11:38 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default stopping lipitor

hello Sheryl, I am in hopes you read the info under "stopping statins" on dr. graveline's web site--he suggests "weaning" youself off the drug by decreasing the dosage daily over a period of time. there is also some preliminary data suggesting a "rebound effect " of an increase in platelet stickiness (and thus a heightened tendency to clot formation) that peaks about day 14 after stopping the statin (are you taking Plavix already or even a baby aspirin? if you are, either will decrease platelet stickiness. plavix is a prescription only drug--)
anecdotal information--my husband and 2 friend's husbands stopped Lipitor "cold turkey" ~2 yrs ago, and none appeared to suffer any effects from doing so, though my husband takes a baby aspirin every day--i am unaware if the other men did.
again, the data showing rebound stickiness are preliminary--not acknowledged by mainstream medicine at present as being of any clinical consequence--this info i found "after the fact"--my husband and friends had already stopped their lipitor cold turkey, and did so without problems.

cs--any thoughts on this? madelyn

Last edited by olsen; 11-17-2006 at 11:47 AM. Reason: clarification
olsen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote