View Single Post
Old 10-21-2008, 03:51 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I agree...some doctors are too quick

However, there is such a thing as protracted grief that goes on much too long and much too intensely. I think 3 years of extreme grief is a bit too much wouldn't you say?

People should be given the time to work through real life emotions. It's only when things become a struggle to the point that it interferes with one's ability to live their lives that one needs help.

Sometimes depression can become a clinical-like depression if left untreated for too long. Sometimes people don't handle stress of this nature well at all. Some doctors like to head things off at the pass so to speak. And there is this too....I was told and found this to be true that however long it took me to get to the point of needing medication was how long it was going to take me to get my brain chemicals stable again.

The bottom line is no one has to do anything they don't feel is necessary. If you don't think you need a AD then don't take it. But before you make that decision ask others around you how they perceive you and your behavior. You might be surprised. Depression can sometimes come on so gradually a person doesn't realise just how bad they *are* feeling until they feel better.

I'm a long time suffer of anxiety and depression. It comes and goes. I've been medication free for well over a year now. But that's my choice after much research and trial and error and I've found other ways to deal with my conditions besides medications like AD's and benzos, etc. For some of us meds are necessary and others we can find other ways to deal successfully with our conditions.

I also found that a temporary relapse I experienced was caused by quitting smoking. My body was so out of whack, chemically speaking, for several months I felt like I was coming unglued at times. I'm happy to say that at almost 6 months post quit I'm feeling better than I have in a very very long time.

I won't blame a doctor for my not speaking up and being my own best health advocate. After all, I know how to run my mouth, that's for sure. LOL!