View Single Post
Old 11-17-2006, 12:25 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hi, saw the neuro specailist

Well, it went nothing like I expected. I truly expected him to scoff at the MG diagnosis, and want to rule other things out etc. I posted this on the other forum, but wasn't sure who still goes over there.. so disregard if you've already read this.
After two and a half hours of unbelievably intense muscle tests, he confirmed the MG diagnosis. He wasn't happy at all that I've been on Prednisone as long as I have, so if my body tolerates the Cellcept, I'll be starting to wean of it. I'm so happy about that.
But I have to tell you, yesterday, it really made this all so real, more so than it has ever been for me. I was examined by one person after another. Including a rep. from the MDA. I have to start a Physcial therapy program for speech,balance, and strengthening certain muscle groups. (not sure how we'll do that) Also to show me how to do house hold chores in an easier way.
He said my blood work showed that Prednisone was doing a number and half on my metabolic system. And he would like to see me off of it as soon as we can. ( I was thinking ..um me too)
I didn't know that Prednisone could cause damage to ones nerves, and it has in my feet, along with the diabetes that it gave me.
I learned so much, and can't think straight. I'm very tired today. Muscles are sore, and tired.
Some of the things that he said were common in his mg patients were
memory problems
bowel and bladder problems
of course weakness
But I thought the memory and the bowel/bladder was nice to hear from a doctor who deals with us on a day to day bases.
He had me fill out forms for the MDA.
He said that he has seen real good results with Cellcept.
I'll be starting off at 500mg, and then we'll work up to 2000mg. Is this a lot, or the normal range?
I'll stop for now. I'm so tired today, can't think.
Love Lizzie
oh one more thing, the antibodies can change from one blood test to another. One time it can show up, and then another it might not. I thought that was interesting.
Maxwell'sMom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote