View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 08:46 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

"Some pain associated with MS CAN be treated long term with meds,"
Go back and re-read the original post. Treated? Yes, but there is no 100% treatment, of any type, that will totally stop pain.

"some pain cannot, and some pain leaves as mysteriously as it came."
You are correct here, and this is one of the features of MS that frustraits research. First, they couldn't find the cause of a particular pain in an individual. Then, when they ALMOST have a therapy to actually ease the patients pain, it's gone. This also causes problems between doctor and patient, where the doctor is behind in their studies. To these people, it almost looks like the person is a hypochondriac.

"Depending on the location of the pain there is absolutely NO way to "work" with the pain - movement, tensing, elevation, ect."
Please do not be ofended, nor take this as an attack. We do not know each other yet, however I suspect we both are trying to work the problem from different perspectives. This statement actually sounds like the collection of complaints I have seen in the hospital, as well as all over the net. I think it comes from those who have been trying to fight the good (?) fight, but time has worn them out to the point that they simply give up and stop looking. I am not saying "quitter," I am saying wore out. Especially when there is no data to back this claim up. For everyone in the medical community that has tossed in the towel in trying to end the pain, I can come up with dozens of others who are still looking.

"Exercise/physical activity are known to be beneficial for pain and in general beneficial to MS. However, you can do everything that has been suggested and it won't make a difference for some types of pain."
Again, this is based on personal opinion, and not any fact or data. Exercise and eating right, range of motion exercises, as well as massage, all will improve any type of pain, if only for a little while. Improved health and mobility have both been shown to reduce pain levels greatly. Improved muscle tone, (to the extent one can achieve it) actually helps increase circulation which help the body send needed blood into an area inflamed and thus speeds the medicine into this area.

Some of this sounds like I am contradicting myself I think, but bear with me as we discuss this area for a little while. Sometimes I have to 'work out' what my point is or what I'm actually trying to say. In this case, I am (In part) providing a basis. In a few days I will make the point clear....... I hope.

MSDave

WARNING: The Surgeon General has determined that living causes death. This finding will be stamped on all new-born baby bottoms from now on.
MSDave is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote