View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 08:42 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

I don't feel "normal" (not neurological) pain the way that others do, so I was in for a rude awakening when I first experienced neurological pain. My first indication of pain (pre MS) has always been confusion/cognitive problems. After that goes on for a while, I start searching my body for what must be hurting me. I still go through this with neurological pain (cognitive problems), but where the pain "seems" to be coming from is usually apparent before I get a chance to go looking for it.

I have had TERRIBLE MS pain and meds have, at MOST, only taken the edge off (from a 9 to a 8 1/2). The worst part for me is the length of time it usually lasts (months!), and the scariest part is no knowing how much longer it will. I agree with Dave that that stress is usually my unraveling.

I have found methods to distract myself, and the best one is deep breathing exercises. I also rely a lot on hypnosis during those periods. I have definitely reached my limit though, at times, and like Snoopy . . . nothing works. I am just worn out, and I can not think anything any more, let alone find ways to stay positive/work with the pain.

If I had to live like that on an ongoing basis, I would NEED to find something or I KNOW I would give up eventually.

Dave, I know that there are a lot of people who would really benefit from what you've said. Some people have a very low tolerance to pain (not that they can help it any more then I can help the way I am), and you offered some good advice. Anxiety, stress, uncertainty, anger, frustration ... all those things can make pain worse.

... then again, sometimes even doing everything imaginable, the pain is still unbearable & unmanageable.

Thanks for you thoughts on this subject though, and I do appreciate many of your thoughts on the subject.

Cherie
"Thanks for this!" says:
MSDave (10-23-2008), Snoopy (10-23-2008)