15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Post Priest doesn't feel like a hero; parishioners disagree

Priest doesn't feel like a hero; parishioners disagree
By Denise G. Callahan

Staff Writer

Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Rev. Dan Schuh marvels over the fuss his parishioners at St. Susanna Catholic Church in Mason have made over him as battles ALS, or Lou Gehrig's Disease.

"I just try to do what I can, and they almost make me out to be a hero," he said. "I don't feel that way. To be able to preside over Mass is an honor and a joy. I just thank them for putting up with me."

Schuh was diagnosed in April 2007 with the progressive, neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord. It has affected his ability to speak audibly and clearly.

He remains pastor, but effective Oct. 4, he is sharing administrative duties with the Rev. John Tonkin. He now concelebrates rather than presides over weekend Masses, when 1,000 to 1,500 attend. He still says some weekday Masses.

Parish Office Administrator Jeannine Frank said parishioners have stepped up to the plate, offering Schuh a home, built him a ramp for his wheelchair, and they established Father Dan's Care Team.

"It amazes me how truly amazed he is that everyone thinks he is so wonderful," parishioner Karen Mullen said.

http://www.fairfield-echo.com/n/cont...svc=7&cxcat=16

ALS/MND Registry

BobbyB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote