View Single Post
Old 10-25-2008, 06:18 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Angry

Ive just came out of hospital at great ormond street after 11 days of tests about this pain, i have still got it EVERYDAY since 13th sep (my last op)

ive had the whole series of tests done.
Shutn tap, stomach tap, stomach fluid extraction for infection, ct scans, shunt series, ultrasounds and an MRI.

all that showed up was excess fluid due to adhesions in my stomach...therefore my abdomen isnt quite draining as much as it should (although this may not be the cause of pain)

on the ultrasound they found a cyst like image on the area of pain at that specific time of day. a stomach tap was done under local aneasthetic into this collection of fluid and tested for infection which came back as clear.

now this is what puzzled me...i carried on with pain in that area as normal for a day or so...then over the next few days i got pain in the opposite side, i had an MRI done and some cyst had shown on on the site of pain. due to this shadowing my ovary...that have put this down to being an ovarian cyst.

of course im not satisfied with this because it just doesnt make sense!

neurosurgeons were happy to turn round and say these cysts are not shunt related and the shunt is a 'red herring.'
it was only days before this that they were saying 'this could be down to the tube irritating the abdomen' 'this may be a pseudo or benine cyst'

so im back in a month for another ultrasound to see if there is a build of of fluid and to see if that cyst has gone - if its an ovarian cyst it should have gone, if not im guessing pseudocyst is still on the agenda. if none of these seem possible then it could be the tube irritating.
if the fluid in my abdomen has built up then the pockets caused by the adhesions in my stomach will be cut out and an exploratory will be done to sort this out.

all this stuff if doing my head in. one thing to another.
jadiee-x is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote