View Single Post
Old 10-27-2008, 01:13 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile

Hello. I've had a wide range of Celiac Disease-attributable symptoms over my life, possibly from "day one" [who knows, maybe fetal?] -- shifting slowly over the course of a couple decades -- beginning with abdominal/digestive maladies, and neurological problems and DH for the last year. I was in sorry shape by the time a friend recognized the possibility that gluten could be the culprit.

Two weeks after beginning a gluten-free diet, I was fine, for what seemed like the first time. For me, the severe/acute neurological problems [the ones that are usually giant red flags, like TIAs and seizures] ended immediately. The "brain fog" dissipated in days.

I noticed a few days ago that I still walk clumsily, but I can attribute this to a lack of exercise over these last few months. In a bit more time, it should pass, as my body/mind/stomach become "used" to performing activities [and absorbing nutrients] which may have been compromised... I'm no brain doctor, but I sure wish I were now. I wish I could give you the technical details instead of my anecdote...

It's been around three months now -- gluten free, dairy restricted, can't do raw plants easily, and vegetarian -- and despite an indescribable improvement in my health and in my perception of my well-being, I've noticed I seem MUCH more sensitive to gluten now. A couple energy drinks containing "caramel coloring" caused a nasty DH outbreak. Most alarmingly, I forgot to check the ingredients on a pre-made microwavable meal I irrationally consumed a couple days ago, and a few hours later, I caught myself a serious neuro episode, which seems to my amateur knowledge to have been a transient ischemic attack with seizures and near-paralysis, which fortunately only lasted a few hours.

I'd like to add that the meal [rice, tomato sauce with chicken -- I violated pretty much every rule of my diet there, but I felt starved due to another problem, one to be discussed elsewhere, although I feel it was caused by celiac disease] wasn't wheaty at all -- no noodles, no side of toast. I could taste the chicken, in all honesty, but once the meal was opened, the bird was already dead at my feet. :P

I've been to many a doc and hospital, they are simply perplexed with me. I have NO diagnoses.

The neurological symptoms have been the most persistent for me [other than the residual eosinophilic dermal deposits], but I have noticed undeniable improvement.

Good luck -- and I mean it. I think you're doing absolutely the right thing by trying it. I had no idea how little gluten it took to cause problems for me, and if you have no other less severe indicators [I feel LUCKY to have this annoying rash sometimes], I think you should do a few weeks on an informed and cautious gluten-free diet before you make up your mind... But I think EVERYone should do that -- in my unprofessional opinion, it's the only way to know.

Last edited by Curious; 10-27-2008 at 06:33 AM. Reason: edited per NT Guidelines Re Links
Lz_erk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mistiis (10-27-2008)