Thread: our experience
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2008, 09:39 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Sinemet - the inevitable

Your husband and I were diagnosed at approximately the same time ... this month it's been 5 years since I was dx at the age of 43.

It sounds as if your husband was able to hold off on drugs until some of the symptoms couldn't be controlled any longer by alternative medicines, etc. Because I don't have to work, I've been able to work with different meds, too, to see what works and what doesn't. This is a luxury some can't afford which I try not to take for granted.

In other words, Michael J. Fox felt he HAD to hide his symptoms because he was an actor and made a living that required he not shake, freeze up, etc. And so, from the beginning, he went on high powered drugs, including Sinemet, to totally mask his symptoms.

Now I'll be the first one to admit that I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to drugs and their side effects, but I can't help but wonder if someone holds off on Sinemet, does it prolong the inevitable?

As for me, personally, I'm scared to death to begin on Sinemet and have been usiing Mirapex, Artane, Baclofen, and Wellbutrin with great success. When the time comes, I'll take Sinemet.

My question to you is if your husband has tried different drugs like I take and/or why did he go right to Sinemet?

Thoughts encouraged from one and all!

People will forget what you said,
people will forget what you did,
but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Quoted by: Maya Angelou (Reader's Digest Oct. 2006)
proudest_mama is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote