View Single Post
Old 11-18-2006, 07:50 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default It is quite possible to have peripheral neuropathy beyond the extremities.

I am certainly living proof.

I have a predominantly samll-fiber syndrome that involves primarily burning nerve pain, and went from the bottom of my foot to my whole foot in four hours, to my hands in three days, to all over my body in ten--a very acute onset.

The all-over body presentation, especially if acute in onset, can really make neuros think you have a central nervous system condition such as mutliple sclerosis. It took me many months to get to a tertiary facility--the Cornell-Weill Center for Peripheral Neuroapthy--where the doctors were not only familiar with the possibility of body-wide neuropathy but could test very specifically for many types of syndromes. A skin biopsy showed I have extensive small-fiber damage (the fibers that subsume the sensations of pain and temperature, as opposed to the larger fibers that are measured by nerve conduction studies and control movement, vibration, and position sense).

I think the only part of my body that has NEVER experienced symptoms is a small patch around my Adam's apple.

When one has such a full body presentation, autoimmune processes should be suspected, including those from molecular mimicry (such as happens in Guillain Barre syndrome), from gluten sensitivity/celiac (that tends to be less acute, though), and those that are secondary to occult tumors (these usually can be tested for by lookign fo specific antibody markers, such as the anti-Hu).
glenntaj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote