View Single Post
Old 10-27-2008, 01:22 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I agree too. The exercise and brain activity helps keep the mind, body, and spirit up and going rather than dwelling on the ills. I noticed if I don't focus on the PD, I feel better. If I start focusing on the bad, I feel worse and my symptoms increase. So, I ignore what's bad for as long as I can.

This past summer I started bike diding again. This was a good thing for me as it increased my strength in my arms and legs and helped with my balance. I can now lift a 65 lb order easily in the warehouse where as before I could barely lift a 25 lbs package.

Mentally I keep the brain cells fluid by working on my Bachelor's degree that I started 25-plus years ago. I have 6 more classes to go, and even though I am dead fatigued, I plan on finish it anyway.

The other thing I noticed too is that my piano playing helps me not just mentally but physically. The emotional high on a good day is the best therapy for anyone. This too is a good method for keeping the dust bunnies from collecting on the neurons. I'm constantly working out fingerings, rhythm difficulties, and dynamics. I've actually managed to play cross-handed when needed. This is quite the brain challenge because the left hand play over the right hand. The brain says play the notes, and the hands get confused. This is also good physically because there is a lot of upper torse movement when piano playing as I reach the upper and lower ends of the keyboard, and my arms are moving all over the place. In addition, the playing helps with the finger dexterity and muscle control. With the playing I can keep my fingers mobile and the movements fluid, and the muscle control through controlling the touch for dynamics. The dynamic control can be difficult when the fingers aren't moving properly so I end up with notes that STICK OUT like they shouldn't.

This all sounds great and wonderful, but there are good days and bad days so I focus on the good ones and ignore the bad ones.

John
jcitron is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote