View Single Post
Old 11-18-2006, 01:56 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Up for discussion...

Hi Janet,

Ok...you won't believe this. On April 11th, my cholestrol was 278. About 1 year ago, I was 205lb. Today I'm 137lb and a size 4. And my chol. is 133. I was placed on 10mg of Zocor. I completely changed my eating habits.

Not trying to start an arguement here for sure. But, everybody reacts differently to all medication. All cholest. meds have side effects of muscle pain/cramps to some extent and some will have an effect on the liver. But how the variety of cholestrol meds on the market today will effect you personally is a hit and miss. This is why it is very important to have blood test to monitor the liver and your cholesterol every 3 months.

With this said, I was placed on zocor with a very high cholesterol, and my liver was fine, but even though I had leg cramps before going on Zocor, I only had very bad pain at night. My Cholesterol went down with the med and a great diet, but leg cramps at night even though I've been off Zocor for more than a month now.

My dear friend was placed on Zetia...didn't do anything to her liver with her blood test, but didn't lower her cholesterol at all. She has been on many different chol. meds and found that Zocor works best for her as all the others made her liver #'s go up.

Her husband who has been very ill for well over a year and has liver problems among other medical problems was placed on Zetia about 1 month ago. He's been on many cholesterol meds but because of his liver problems was taken off them. His cholesterol skyrocketed with his last blood test and now placed on Zetia. It lowered his cholesterol 75 points, and his liver test went down to normal. In fact all his blood tests are falling into line and the only med that has been changed is the addition of Zetia. We are shaking our heads in amazement. The quote that was taken on a recent post was taken from an advertisement for an "alternative" natural drug. Not an approved FDA medication, I believe. Zetia, is used for people that have Liver problems as it is used by reducing it's absorbtion of cholesterol in the digestive tract. It's all very confusing but don't be mislead by these alternative natural drugs. Again, this is just my opionion.

I don't like to preach and don't participate in arguements. But, remember we are not doctors. Please everyone keep in mind that all of our bodies and systems are different and the most important thing especially with cholesterol meds is to have blood tests every 3 months! Do not go longer.

This friend and I laugh as we say "this is why they say doctors are 'practicing' and they should just quit 'practicing' on us...huh? laffs.

I'm truly not doubting that patients have had serious problems on Zetia. But in my opinion there isn't a medication on the market that doesn't cause serious problems or has serious side effects.

Again, in my opinion, the fewest medication you can be on the better you are as there is no interactions. And of course, the lowest dose possible to keep you comfortable is the best course of action.

The words above are my opinion...and for those of you who don't know, I'm a lovely pharmacist daughter and grew up owning 2 pharmacy's, in So. California. One across the street from the studios...seen it all. laffs.

I'll be 7 years with RSD on December 19th. And, I've known Janet...er well 'bout that long...huh?

Never in a million years did I think that I would be tossed into ring and go up the ladder of pain meds like of Oxy and Methadone! But of course, we must control our pain. I just try to help when I can with my knowledge on medication. And my father, bless him at 84 still is as sharp as a tack!

Janet have you ever tried Trazodone for sleep? This was the very 1st med I was placed on. Getting a good night sleep is absolutely the most important thing for us. Getting good REM sleep is important. Most other meds don't provide this. Whereas, in my doctors opinion this very old medication works wonderful for sleep, pain and is an antidepressant to Boot! We all need this in our repetoire!

I'm sorry to say, Tylenol PM is truly only for use as a "once in awhile" sleeping aid. Not an everyday sleeping pill. I used this prior to getting RSD and my father blew a gasket! This stuff will do some major harm in the long run. Especially if you use regular Tylenol during the day as then you are receiving far to much acetaminophen into your system. Tylenol PM has 1000mg acetaminophen in each dose which truly you don't need in your sleeping aid.

And while I'm at it, Ambian I'm told also doesn't provide REM sleep and also isn't for everyday use in RSD patients.

Trazodone is the best sleep aid for RSD patients. Asleep in 20 minutes and sleep through the night. And dream! Ok...sometimes it does cause some strange dreams and nightmares, but doesn't everybody have nightmares on occassion. I like the occassional excitement in my night!

Janet...you know me. Just putting a different prospective on this issue.

Please consider eating very healthy. When you go shopping at the grocery store, try only shopping the outside perimeter aisles and don't go down any inside aisle! All fresh food. Boy will this be a quick and easy way to lose weight! All crap food and junk food is down the inside aisle! Hopefully you will not need any cholesterol medication very quickly!

Hope this helps. Talk soon.

K...I got this out. I'm down with an awful cold, flu, whatever. Earache, sorethroat, headache, fever, you name it I got it. Back to bed with me. But cut and paste works well.

With aloha, Dana
himomdp is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote