View Single Post
Old 10-30-2008, 01:06 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default to everett

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverett123 View Post
But seriously, the very fact that your question is a difficult one ( i.e. what are our individual major symptoms) tells us that we are dealing with an unusually complex mess.
agree 100% it is a complex mess, and that is even if we are just talking about the neurological part of it - i know very little about the other areas you mention. nonetheless, the current diagnostic criteria are such that every person diagnosed w/PD experiences 2 out of 3 of the cardinal symptoms. now. one could argue that the cardinal symptoms are inadequate or inaccurate or whatever, but the fact of the matter is that in spite of that complexity, i share at least one major motor symptom with every other person diagnosed w/PD.

Quote:
My vote would be for cutting through the confusion of the symptoms in search of the cause.
agree also that search for cause is important, as is search for disease modifying therapy, however, given that:
  • average age of diagnosis is 60 (roughly), and
  • average life expectancy is 79,
something on the order of half of the people diagnosed w/PD are going to have to manage its symptoms for a minimum of 19 years, and given that:
  • levodopa's useful life lasts on average 5 years (a number that decreases in tandem with age of onset, which, for me, was 32), and
  • the only option after levodopa becomes completely unbearable is brain surgery, the long term efficacy of which in unknown,
and given that time horizon to a neuroprotective therapy is virtually guaranteed to be much longer than that to a better symptomatic therapy (consider the fact that, unlike symptomatic benefit, we are currently unable to determine whether or not neuroprotection has occured), personally, i see a clear need for a better symptomatic therapy to hold us over until the other two goals are accomplished.

Quote:
So it's left to freelancers like us to make the attempt to sort it out. ...That's why I am advocating an online think tank in the "private" forum.
agree 1000% and am looking forward to reading and talking more about this in the private forum.

thanks,
b
boann is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote