View Single Post
Old 10-30-2008, 03:27 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Scheduled for surgery - need input please!

Ok - not sure if I should jump for joy (as if I could) or run (again - as if I could!) hehe. Ortho dr called and I am set up for open debridement on my knee for arthrofibrosis due to my knee replacement Nov 19th. This is where I also have my RSD. The hopes are that getting some of the scar tissue gone, I can get my knee bending some (-15 extension and 80 flex). Right now the knee has been so flared I have only been doing home therepy so hope you can understand I am hesitate on this surgery. I want to be able to walk better - but do not want more pain! They are talking about keeping me 4 days for pain management - but no prior pain management before surgery. At first the nurse stated just I would be there just for overnite - then I had to bring up the RSD factor and that she might want to recheck with the ortho dr. so they came back with the 4 day stay. I have read that it does help sometimes to do a block a day prior to surgery. Any advice on this or experience? I am assuming they will be doing a block of some sort afterwards but wont know the details until a week prior to surgery when I have my pre surgery meeting with the surgeon and then with the anethesia dept. I have read good things about Ketamine being used in the block - any advice on this or experience? Would it be to my advantage or would I be out of line in asking the anethesia dept this and requesting this treatment? I have been trying to be more proactive in my treatment - sometimes met with hesitation from the docs so never sure. My pain man. doc has stated he will see me after the surgery as I probably will need more meds than what I am currently on..... sounds exciting huh? Should I call and see if he will be seeing me in the hospital - I know the ortho doc had conversations with him in regards to if they should do the surgery - but nothing was said if he would follow up in the hospital with me. It would make me feel better I think if I knew he would be following up on me during this time - but not sure where the cut off is from his duty to ortho to anethesia dept - so confusing! Sorry about the rambling and this so long - I really appreciate this board and the support from people that have RSD also and know what I am going thru with this very frustrating condition. One good thing - I won't have to cook the turkey this year! Maybe thats not a good thing ...considering my hubby's cooking! hehe
lindkaye is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote