View Single Post
Old 10-30-2008, 04:56 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

hi brenda and welcome to NT.

everything i've read recommends that you stay away from herbs/supplements that claim to boost your immune system. with MS our immune system is hyperactive which is the exact process that destroys the sheath covering over the nerve pathways. that's what causes the neurological damage in our CNS (brain/spinal cord/eyes) and creates the sx's of MS.

i always like to advise people to speak to their dr before starting any supplement/herb etc for that reason.

avonex is an interferon med. copaxone is not an interferon.
C doesn't cause SE's that can happen from an interferon. like flu-like sx's etc.
altho some people on interferons don't have that.

that's why i chose C for my drug. also because i had a hx of depression and the interferons can make depression worse. i've been on C since '03 and have tolerated it well. i've had some decline but i'm also pretty stable.

it can take C up to 8 mos to start working in the body/CNS. i don't know about interferons.

i'd recommend that you do as much research as you can to help make your decision. you can call 1-800-FIGHT MS to get the # of your local chapter and request an information packet be sent to you.

you of course can go to the NMSS website and here at NT to look up meds etc.

and, i'm sure others will be along to give you their opinions.
hope to read more of your posts.
You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
--------------------------------------
"DESIDERATA" by Max Ehrmann
NurseNancy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ewizabeth (10-31-2008), Kitty (10-31-2008), mom2five (10-31-2008)