View Single Post
Old 10-31-2008, 09:21 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

We will get water eventually but of course have to pay for it, and it won't be cheap. We are looking into whether there are any grants available to help us offset some of the expense. After all we don't want water, we NEED it. The only grants I have found so far are for lower income/rural areas. I will keep looking.

Me and DH were not checked because if DD was safe, we're safe too. The other children in the area are being checked as well. When my DD's nurse called to tell us she was okay, she asked what in the world is going on on our street. I told her and said that there are so many other streets that are/will have this same problem.

After knowing we will get water and won't have to fight to get it, I am starting to get angry. From what I heard at this meeting, the town has known about the high levels of arsenic in the soil for 2 years now. The town never notified the owners of wells about this little fact and so many well owners have no clue they are drinking water that may be unsafe. Some of the people at the meeting told the town point blank that they better notify all of the well owners right away. Even people on my street, if they don't have email, have never heard about any of this.

A person at the meeting found this very interesting as we all did but she sounded like she would be pursuing it so I will let her go ahead and do it.

I did joke about calling Erin Brockovich but since we have no proof or any idea why the water is contaminated, there is little we can do, right now.

I can only deal with one thing at a time and getting the actual water is my priority. After we have water, then I will be more than willing to get involved in the finger pointing!!

We all feel the town and the county water authority, both who knew about these high levels, have a responsiblity to everyone in town to notify them of this problem. Even if they don't have well water, many times people send their children to a home for daycare that has well water!!!

We have been telling everyone in town who will listen about the bad well water, hoping our big mouths will spread the news faster. I would love to call our local paper but am afraid of doing anything to slow down the already lengthly process of getting pipes put it. However, I do know someone who works for the paper and if i just happen to casually mention this to her next time the opportunity arises (which may be very soon), who knows what could happen...

Okay, getting off my soapbox now.
karousel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote