View Single Post
Old 10-31-2008, 10:53 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default Melody's Tip on Controller her diabetes

Hi all.

I just made the most astounding discovery.

If I don't eat, my sugar goes up, and if I DO eat, my sugar goes down.

Now if any of you experts can explain this one to me, well I'd love to hear it.

I don't have food issues any more, (THANK GOODNESS FOR THAT).

It took years, but I know what to eat, and I now what NOT TO EAT, and I don' cheat, but sometimes, in the afternoon (if I forget to eat lunch,), well, I'll take my sugar and it can reach 197.

I'll look at the meter and I'll say to myself "what the heck is this?? I didn't eat since breakfast (two egg whites on a little roll, with my coffee, at my favorite little news cafe).

Well, if I forget to eat lunch, and 2 p.m. rolls around, well my sugar can go to 197.

I did a little experiment.

I began eating yogurt for lunch. Oh sometimes I'll have a grilled chicken on a bed of greens (with lots of colors), and a splash of extra virgin olive oil.

When I take my sugar two hours after I've eaten, it's 126.

If I don't eat lunch, IT GOES UP.

Well, if you think that is baffling, get a load of this.

I had gotten into the habit of not eating after dinner.

Oh, the only diabetes med I am on is Lantus, (one 118) injection in the morning). No other pills. I once was on like 5 pills a day. The pills never did a thing because I weighed A LOT and I ate the wrong stuff.

So recently I began a little experiment.

If I didn't eat after 8 p.m. at night, my sugar in the morning was 140, or sometimes 135. Not too bad, but not that great, right?

Well I said "why not eat SOMETHING before you go to bed, Like at 10 p.m. So I had a small bowl of that new soup, "healthy harvest from Campbells, with no MSG, not too much sodium.

You taste the soup, not the sodium. Just a little bowl.

Alan looked at me and said: "you're actually eating at night"? and I said "I'm doing an experiment".

Well, the next morning my sugar was a bit lower. And yesterday afternoon, I was in the mall (and I realized I had to EAT SOMETHING, so I ordered a small cup of no sugar strawberry bananna yogurt. It was delicious. And I drank my bottled water as I waited to see my podiatrist.

I go home, and at 5 p.m. I took my sugar. IT WAS 98. I haven't seen a sugar reading of 98, well, I can't tell you.

So last night at 10 p.m. (I had eaten my dinner meal of Grilled Salmon, brocolli (with my accompanying salad of sprouts, lettuce, and baby tomatoes), but it was 10 p.m. and I said "experiment time".

so at 10 p.m. (remember, normally I haven't eaten anything past 8 pm. in about 3 years now).

So last night I had one of those FAGE green yogurt things that my doctors at Cornell told me I should eat. Nasty stuff, but you do get used to it and it's full of probiotics and all things good.

Well, I wake up this morning and my sugar is 118.

MY SUGAR IS NEVER 118 in the morning.

So I am going to continue this little experiment of having a small bit of something at 10 p.m.

My participation in the Accord program is over in June of 2009, and god only knows what co-pays and stuff will be for insulin, and strips, so my goal is to BE OFF INSULIN.

I have no idea if I will achieve this, but I can only try.

And I realize that my diabetes might be very different than the ones who are type 1 and even some that are type 2 and have other stuff going on.

But hey, try the yogurt thing.

You can get past the taste.

I actually LIKE IT NOW!!!

lol

Best of luck.

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
sunrich (11-01-2008), Twinkletoes (11-01-2008)