View Single Post
Old 11-01-2008, 08:07 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

From what I have read on the internet and from my experience, you shouldn't have surgery on an RSD limb unless it is absolutely neccasary. I'm sorry that you have to have surgery and I hope that everything goes smoothly and that you don't end up in too much pain afterwards

I went into hospital last Wednesday for a procedure on my RSD leg whilst under general anaesthetic and to try and get rid of some of the pain afterwards, my PM Doctor gave me a Ketamine Epidural whilst I was asleep. The block took my pain from an 8 and a half to a 5. It wasn't an easy decision to make as to whether to have the Ketamine Epidural but I have tried every other drug and nothing has helped so it was a last resort. I'm glad that I did have the block because I don't think I would of been able to cope without it. The affects of the block lasted about 21 hours and then the pain started to return. I didn't have any severe side effects that some mention but I did have some pretty bad itching lol. I am now on Oral Ketamine and it helps but not as much as the epidural did and I have side effects where I feel as though I am drunk and laugh at every single thing, that probably isn't even funny lol.

I would speak to your Ortho or PM to see what they feel is the best way to manage your pain. I'm glad that they are keeping you in for the 4 days to try and help control your pain.

I wish you the very best of luck with your surgery and please keep us updated when you can.