View Single Post
Old 11-01-2008, 07:27 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Question Pain Meds Pre-Surgery? Advice, Please

Hi, I have suffered chronic migraine pain for over 15 years. Some days are better than others, so my meds vary.

My problem: I need to have SURGERY in a couple of days for something completely unrelated to migraine. I'll be going under general anesthesia.

My question: Is it okay to take PAIN MEDS prior to general anesthesia? On the morning of surgery, I MAY take 2 Fioricet with Codeine OR 2 Tylenol with Codeine. Maybe the Tylenol with Codeine would be safer, since the Fioricet contains butalbital?

And YES, I have TOLD the doctor and the nurses my ENTIRE health history and medication history. The PROBLEM is that I have seen SEVERAL different nurses at the hospital, and no one seems to communicate with anyone else at this place! It is FRUSTRATING beyond belief.

The pre-surgery nurse told me it would be FINE for me to take 2 Fioricet with Codeine (or 2 Tylenol with Codeine) on the MORNING of surgery. She ALSO told me it would be FINE to take 10 mg. Valium on the MORNING of surgery (for anxiety).

I've had 3 prior surgeries in my life, several years ago. I KNOW I took Valium prior to my other surgeries. I simply cannot remember IF I took Tylenol with Codeine on the MORNING of the other surgeries (this was 15 years ago!).

I KNOW I did NOT take Fioricet with Codeine on the MORNING of the PRIOR surgeries, so I just wanted to ask if it really would be okay to take it. Does anyone know? Or has anyone had to take pain meds on the morning of surgery?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I'm a cautious person, so I just want to make SURE that the info the hospital has given me is CORRECT. It's ALWAYS good to hear "real life experiences", too.

Thanks,
Eva
Eva 14 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote