View Single Post
Old 11-02-2008, 10:59 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Disk Touching my spinal cord

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer479 View Post
Well I am in the army and have been in for about 4 years now and just got my MRI results back on my back pain and found out I have Degenerative disk disease, Arthritic bone spurs, disk touching my spinal cord, a torn disk and I think something like a nodule on my vertebrae. Now this is all in my thoracic spine area and have to see a Neurosurgeon and a Orthopedic surgeon. Does anyone have any advice of what to expect and knowledge to take with me? I am worried this is the end of my Army Career. any tips advice or encouragement would be greatly appreciated.
The disk touching your spinal cord is the part that I can most relate to. I had ACDF surgery on 10/6/08. Mine was an emergency situation because I had been involved in a car accident on Sept. 15th and was already experiencing Neurological deficits. I had never had any back or neck problems before so when my doc said surgery I was beyond stunned. I had never heard of this surgery. Didn't know what I was in for but after seeing my MRI I knew it couldn't be good. Waiting for surgery was the hardest part. I had a lot of questions I had to have answered fast! The surgery recovery hasn't really been the horror that I was sure it would be. My throat was sore for a week. I have muscle spasms in my back now but they were expected and are under control with medication. I WILL get my normal life back and I have heard so many stories now about people who had the same surgery and go right back to all of their normal activities minus the pain they had before that I am now convinced that I can to. So can you. Maybe you might have to make some minor adjustments to your daily activities. Everybody is different. I just suggest making sure that you are completely comfortable with your doctors and their decisions. You've come to the right place everybody here is very supportive and full of information. I just wish I had found them all much sooner. I also want to thank you for your service and know that you will be in my thoughts and prayers. If they mention ACDF you can post questions I will be glad to share. Mostly DON'T be afraid no matter what they say. You have support and a great group here who have been there done that and don't mind sharing. Oh and most importantly! I'm not in a wheelchair because of my condition nor will my children have to come visit me in a nursing home because I'm paralyzed.
treeves is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mistiis (11-04-2008)