View Single Post
Old 11-19-2006, 09:17 AM
----

15 yr Member
----

15 yr Member
Smile

Thanks ((Cheri))

We had a wonderful time yesterday. It was a competition powwow. They were judging the drum groups when we took our seats, and a lot of people were dancing - some in regalia, others in street clothes. My friend looked like she was chomping at the bit and wanted to join them - but she knows how I feel about that, lol.

Just at that moment, Leonard (the MC who also headed those Chief Illiniwek protests I attended) invited everyone to come down regardless of race/religion, that it was just a social dance - so I told my friend to go for it. She didn't make a spectacle of herself, she was very respectful - but she was truly glowing down there. It made me feel good to see her feeling so good. It also felt good to have a non-native friend with me who enjoys the music and much as I do.

When that part was over, they brought out the Tiny Tots - kids 6 and under. They were SO adorable and put so much heart into their dancing. I'm sure there were a lot of proud relatives watching.

I really like the women's fancy shawl and men's traditional dance.

By the time we got home, my legs were SCREAMING in pain - but it didn't take away from the day. It was worth it.
KathyM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote