View Single Post
Old 11-02-2008, 03:45 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb gosh...

I am concerned.

I had EMDR... about 10 yrs ago. It was for a water/boat phobia.

If you go too fast, then I suppose things could get dicey.

One of my sessions I had chest constriction, like I was drowning..(it must have been reliving the original trigger).
The therapist stopped it then. I rested about 15min and we started again.

One thing...whatever you are thinking about before the session is what comes up for work. I think you should discuss this with your therapist and do this more slowly. If you think about highly charged stuff, then that is what gets stimulated.

I did get much better with the treatments. But I still cannot bring myself to go under water. But I can now run a boat, and get on a boat that goes over deep water, and not get sick.
I would say that it was good for me, but not a total cure.

There are other eye movements that can be done when you
become...overwrought. Up and Down, will defuse some reaction. That is what happened for me.

I think EMDR is like defragging your computer. Things get moved around. They don't go away...they just lose power to create unwanted physical reactions to negative memories. I never had negative reactions after the sessions. I DID have more vivid dreaming.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Aarcyn (11-17-2008), BJ (11-02-2008), Brokenfriend (11-02-2008), GmaSue (02-12-2009), Vowel Lady (11-02-2008)