View Single Post
Old 09-08-2006, 09:15 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Many people on the chronic pain forum have found relief using the recipe below.

People have stated that it works well for pain medication-induced constipation/bowel distress, and that it also works well on constipation/bowel distress that is not caused by pain meds.

A real life friend of mine is a CNA and she works in a nursing facility that takes care of adults of all ages with physical and cognative disabilities, and this is the recipe that they use when a patient has constipation, slow bowels, etc....

Hope it helps,
Liz

Yakima Valley Anti Constipation Fruit Paste

1 lb pitted prunes
4 ozs senna tea leaves (at health foods store)
1 lb raisins
1 lb figs
1 cup lemon juice

1. Prepare tea; use about 2 1/2 cups boiled water, add to tea leaves and steep for 5 minutes.
2. Strain tea and remove tea leaves.
3. Place 2 cups of tea, or amount left, in large pot.
4. Add all of the fruit to the tea.
5. Boil fruit and tea for 15 - 20 minutes, until soft.
6. Remove from heat and add lemon juice. Allow to cool.
7. Use hand mixer/blender or food processor to turn fruit and tea mix into a paste.
8. Place in glass jars or Tupperware and place in freezer (paste will not freeze but will keep forever in freezer also very long in fridge).

DOSAGE: 1 - 2 Tablespoons per day

Suggestions for use: Can be spread on toast, english muffin, bagel, bran muffin or rice cake. Good breakfast. lunch, or snack: toasted bagel or english muffin, spread with low fat cream cheese or goat cheese and topped with fruit paste. For a change of flavor mix in some raspberry or strawberry jam. The first time I made this, I cut the recipe in half, used the full recipe after that. The stuff seems to work just fine, as long as you use it regularly .... it's all natural, no chemicals, no preservatives, just a little bit of money and time invested.
Wittesea is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote