Thread: Bipolar Newbie
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2008, 07:46 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chreey View Post
Hello Im glad I found this site. My son is 9 years old. He was diagnosed ADHD/ODD back in 2005. He was just recently diagnosed Bipolar. He is taking Vyvannse 50mg and Risperidal .5mg twice daily. He has been a handful. We have been going through this since the end of 2004 trying to figure things out and I think I am finally understanding why we haven't been able to help him. He is very moody. You never know which kid your going to get moment by moment. I guess that is called rapid cycling. He is very violent towards everyone specially his 4 year old sister. He has busted his fathers lip open. And one time I had to pin him to the ground so he couldn't hurt anyone or himself and he tried to bite and head butt me the entire time. At that point I realized how strong my little boy really was. But Anthony doesn't seem like some of the other kids that I have read about on these posts. He doesn't seem like he is sorry when this happens. I think he is actually glad that he made us so upset and hurt. Maybe that is the ODD part of it all. I don't know where the ODD stops and the Bipolar begins. He hates to lose if I try to spend time with him and play things and he loses Im either a cheater or an idiot and he just blows up in a rage. His school work is good no problems at school at the moment. Before he would overflow toilets and hang on door stalls but this year its not bad. He won't participate with talking at the couclers appts. So Im just kinda lost right now. He had a mri and a emg done. We have an attorney who is doing an appeal for us for ssi. And I heard there should be special circumstances for him at school. I need to check out the link that was posted. Any how thanks for listening. chreey
I feel for you. I have three kids and my middle child has all the symptoms of being bipolar. Oh and by the way I am bipolar. I don't know why but the anger issue was a big one with my son. It was not until he was older that I told him he had to give himself time to cool off. I know that probably won't work with a nine year old. For me rapid cycling is crying and laughing at the same time, then being depressed, to almost delusional all in a matter of 30 minutes. I do not fit the textbook definition of rapid cycling. I'm sure as a good mother you have done your homework, but one book that really helped me turn things around was the Bipolar Disorder survival guide by David Miklowitz. It's easy to read, not expensive, and there are examples of mood charts, which will help you tell his doctor, exactly what is going on. I wish you the best.