View Single Post
Old 11-19-2006, 12:09 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Dairy free Pumpkin Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccglutenfree View Post
Pumpkin Pie

I know I used Libby's canned pumpkin (not the mix), and followed the Famous Pumpkin Pie recipe on the back, doubled to make two pies (or a 9x13 pan, in my case).
http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/detail.aspx?ID=18470

Instead of the the evaporated milk (doubled would have been 24oz), I used just one can of coconut milk (14oz). It worked fine, but be prepared for a longer bake time, until it cooks through to the center. It was also quite thick/high, and I had left over crust...so I think I may get out my 10x15 glass pyrex and try it in there.
The Libby's pumpkin pie recipe looks similar to the Fabulous Pumpkin Pie recipe I use. If you are using coconut milk, add 2 more eggs to the recipe for a total of 4 eggs. You can also reduce the sugar to 1/2 cup if you don't want it so sweet. You'll have to cook it for an hour. Heating the mixture before you put it in the pie shell helps it cook faster. Here's how you do it:

Heat the pumpkin puree in a pan, stirring frequently. Add the spices to the pumpkin and mix. Add the coconut milk to the pumpkin, continuing to stir. Keep it hot, but don't let it boil.

In a heatproof bowl, beat the eggs and sugar together. When the pie crust is ready, beat the egg mixture while slowly adding the hot pumpkin mixture into it as a thin stream. The resulting mixture will be hot, but you do not want to have cooked eggs.

I made this last weekend, and it turned out very good. I'll be back to report on pie crusts. I'm still experimenting, but I'm very close to a GF, DF flakey, rollable pie crust.

Claire