View Single Post
Old 11-04-2008, 08:45 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Heart My Neuro Appointment Today

Hi everyone,

I had an appointment with my Neurologist today. Before I went to see my neuro, we had an appointment at my children's hospital to get the splint but the traffic was that bad that we ended up missing the appointment. The hospital that I go to is about 15 miles away from where we live but the traffic is always really bad, no matter what time you go. We are going to have to get the Orthotics take my splint to my Physical Therapy session on Thursday, if they can.

My neurologist is really nice. I saw him when I was first diagnosed with RSD and he said I had a classic case of RSD and refered me to my PM Doctor. I went to see him about the really bad myoclonic jerks/spasms that I am having in my leg. When I last saw him, he said that if they didn't settle, he would prescribe me a med called Keppra. He took a good look at my leg and the rotation in my foot (dystonia) and said that he doesn't want to prescribe any meds at the moment because the side-effects would possibly outweigh the benefits. He feels that if he was to prescribe me another med, it could potentially make me very weak and take me off my feet again, which is the last thing I want.

My PM Doctor suggested using Botox has it can help in some cases so we mentioned that to him and he said that the best person to see would probably be an Orthopaedic Surgeon. He feels that because the last 2 nerve blocks caused complications, the botox could make my muscles that weak that I wouldn't be able to walk again so at the moment he isn't suggesting it. He said that the Botox could paralyse the muscle that is working overtime but could make the other muscles in my leg worse or weak and just make my foot rotate inwards, instead of out to the side. He said not to dismiss it all together but at this time he doesn't think it would work or would create more problems than enough.

The spasms in my leg are a lot worse now than when I finished the PT program in July and the Neuro said that is probably because of the flare of the RSD in my arm. He feels that my body is reacting to the pain in my arm by causing the spasms to get worse. Hopefully the spasms will get better has my arm settles down but if they don't we have to call him straight away to see what he can do.

He feels that the best way forward at the moment is Physical Therapy has it comes with no side-effects to deal with (other than the increase in pain after each session). I have to go and see him again in March or April and he will then decide what to do, he keeps in touch with the pain team at my local children's hospital so they will keep him updated also.

Have to go and lay down has my arm is hurting but just wanted to update you all. I will let you all know how my other appointments this week go.

Love,
Alison