View Single Post
Old 11-19-2006, 08:03 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Pumps, patches, pain meds

Well, I just lost a good post of sone length and I hate that. I'll try again.

Beth I hadn't heard any bad press on the Medtronic Stimulator. Maybe it is the Intrathecal pumps in which they excell. That and surgical navigation equipment. My husband works for Medtronic so I'm a bit biased. I have an intrathecal pump with a bolus which allows me to give myself a boost every four hours on a bad day. I love having little to no cognitive side effects. I went from bedbound to life with the constant infusion of a tiny amount of narcotic in my spine a fraction of what I was on. The only part left out was controlling the neuropathic pain which Lyrica has done a nice job on. I had to weigh the side effects, weight gain, edema etc, but wrestling with my grandson, having incredable energy, and just plain being relieved of the gnawing nerve pain vs. wearing a size 8, the choice was fairly easy. I considered a SCS as well as the IIP but I guess hearing from you, it may help the back pain, but not the peripheral nerve pain in arms and legs. Do you take Lyrica as well or no longer need it? I have heart problems and if they pull the Lyrica due to my heart, I'm wondering if the stimulator may work.

Claudia, I've used the Lidoderm patches for many years both during the day and at night. I prefer during the day as I am aware of the pain relief even though nighttime gives me a better nights sleep. We have to make choices with these things don't we, but there should be no problem in wearing them at night. Make certain you wash your back down with alcohol before attaching the patches and they have less problems if you are a back sleeper, or are very active during the day. Also, could you explain what Tramadol is?

Also, don't worry about the psych appointment. It is a requirement in certain cases with insurance companies. It was for me before my intrathecal pump.

God bless all. Joanne
Joanne Turner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote