View Single Post
Old 11-04-2008, 03:44 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Getting emotional.

[F]I have been following a thread here, where a woman stated that she had been getting 'overly emotional,' as in crying. As I read the different replies, I noted that several members report that they also get this way in extreme situations, mostly involving either stress, or exhaustion.

Most of those that indicated this, called it... (I'm trying to word it right) out of the normal, I suppose. I too have these bouts of emotion, but weird as it may sound, I simply love it when it happens to me.

You see, after 20 years in the military, I didn't really feel much about anything. I still never do more than a big grim when something is funny, and everything good is met with, "It's alright." Not that I was/am emotionally dead, I just turned emotions 'off.'

After I got out, I didn't really know the emotions were off; not until I was diagnosed with MS anyway. The first time I got emotional was when I had to put my best friend down. She had been with me in the Army, and I brought her home with me. In my alone times when everyone was at work and I was home, her and I would talk for hours, never speaking a word.

Anyway, on the day it happened, the dam burst and I cried huge tears for what must have been 2 whole days. Everyone was kind of worries as I had never done this to anyones recollection. But after it was over, I felt like a newborn child must feel like. Really clean and for once, at peace with myself.

It, (the crying emotional side) does not happen often, but when it does I let it happen and allow myself to 'fully feel' what ever it is I am feeling. I do not get embarrassed, do not apologies for it, nor make excuses for it; I embrace it.

I think getting either giddy, or crying, are the two best ways of ridding yourself of stress, that I can think of. In the past when stress got to be too much, I would go to a range or some place safe, and just fire my guns for an hour or so. Something about that sound would calm me right down. Now however, letting those 2 emotions out seem to do so much better.

I digress, and enough about me anyway. What I was wondering is, if you all, though you might be embarrassed about it, if you feel the same after it is over; refreshed and even relaxed? If so, then why should we, or anyone feel bad about letting ones self get emotional from time to time?

Now I did say either giddy/happy, or having a good cry. Anger and other forms of emotion might be a bad thing and need to be looked at, especially anger and depression, but I'm speaking about those two. Any thoughts, comments?

And guys? I know we are not supposed to do these things, but I'm over 50 and I figure I am intitled to do it if I want to. ;-) So you can speak up too.

Dave
[/FONT]

WARNING: The Surgeon General has determined that living causes death. This finding will be stamped on all new-born baby bottoms from now on.
MSDave is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AZjanie (11-05-2008), Blessings2You (11-04-2008), braingonebad (11-06-2008), dmplaura (11-04-2008), Jappy (11-05-2008), Jodylee (11-04-2008), karousel (11-05-2008), Kitty (11-04-2008), Natalie8 (11-05-2008), SallyC (11-04-2008), Twinkletoes (11-04-2008), Vonn07 (11-04-2008), weegot5kiz (11-04-2008), woodhaven (11-05-2008)