Thread: I'm a Mess
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2008, 02:19 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Sorry you're going through this. I agree, though, the foggy brain is (for me) the scariest of all the MS symptoms. In fact, it was probably my first symptom, since I spent a couple years complaining about my forgetfulness to various doctors who gave me a quick memory test, patted me on the head and told me I didn't have Alzheimers. Somehow that never made me feel any better.

Of course there are a lot of things you can do to help you when memory fails, post its, computer reminders, notes on the fridge, in the car, a day planner, or the computerized equivalent (whatever they're called, I can't remember). My first six months after diagnosis I carried my planner with me everywhere like a security blanket. I had colored paper clips and tabs on various pages, etc. Everything I could do to make sure I didn't miss an appointment I did, in triplicate.

Of course, there isn't much you can do when you forget the word for "chair" or the name of your boss; only time will help you cope with those issues, I guess. I'm still waiting for my sense of humor to help that. When humor fails me, I just honestly say, "sorry, my MS is in the way, and I can't remember ......"

Like other MS sx, jello brain tends to come and go. It gets worse with heat, stress, or illness, and is another one of those things to try to overcome. And when it can't be overcome, come here and vent, then take a nap.

Hang in there. Just when you think it won't end, it does.

I'm still walking upright and six feet above ground.
Catch is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
azoyizes (11-05-2008)