View Single Post
Old 11-06-2008, 08:29 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

When is a loved one supposed to intervene?

NOW!!!

Call up his physician (and yeah, I know about all the confidentiality stuff, but if you are WORRIED about his mental health, in my opinion, his doctor should take you seriously).

Write all your concerns down on a piece of paper. All his behaviors that have you troubled.

Run it by the doctor. See what HE says.

I really don't know if there's anything that you CAN do but whatever you can do, do it.

Then focus on YOURSELF.

I haved lots of friends who don't take the time to do this and now they are in crisis after crisis. I can't tell you how many times I'm on the phone every night when a friend calls me and she's drunk (BECAUSE HER SON IS A RAGING ALCOHOLIC AND WON'T LEAVE THE HOUSE).

She knows what she has to do (GO TO AA) and focus on herself. It's very very hard to see one's loved ones destroying themselves. I just say "you know what you have to do, get yourself to an AA meeting".

Sometimes you have to put yourself first.

Believe me, I have a lot of experience in this department. I had to detach from my own son.

My health was in the toilet. I finally listened to what others were saying. I spoke to professionals. I got the best advice someone can get.

So I'm passing it on.

Don't kill yourself any more.

Co-dependancy is a tricky thing. Sometimes you feel you have no choice.

Believe me, we have choices.

I wish you well.

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote