View Single Post
Old 11-06-2008, 10:13 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb Lyrica and Neurontin

are chemically related (and very similar). In fact they are even metabolized the same way (that is excreted WHOLE via the kidneys).

The difference is that Lyrica needs lower doses, and costs a bundle more. They work the same way however.

Some people like Lyrica better, some cannot tolerate it (it can cause a serious shortness of breath issue that Neurontin doesn't seem to), some get terrible swelling from it.
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=27839
The breathing side effects are being reported more frequently now since the drug was approved for Fibromyagia (which results in more people using it)

If you are doing well on Neurontin, I wouldn't change that.

I am going to repeat my recommendation of Lidoderm patches. Placed correctly over the area of the lower back where the pudendal nerves enter the spinal cord (cauda equina) may give relief. They do not work instantly but do numb that area and prevent transmission of pain signals.
I used them for 14 days for my MP pain before they really kicked in. In fact, they STOPPED the misfiring of the lateral femoral nerve for me, so I didn't have the pain anymore so intensely. I still get mild twinges esp when I use my thighs like on the recumbent bike, or in stretching, but the stabbing pain I had for 10+ yrs is gone, the stinging gone, and 80% of the numbness gone.
This was nerve damage from a C-section.
I would try one patch cut in half and placed over that lower coccyx area on both sides of your bottom spine (just at the butt crack beginning).
If these work for you -- you may be able to get off the oral meds, entirely.

Here is a link to the anatomy--- http://www.pudendal.com/
you can see in the first illustration there that the nerves can become entrapped in several spots.
But they all run together at the spinal origin. This is where you try to interrupt the signals with the Lidoderm patches.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 11-06-2008 at 10:30 AM.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote