Old 11-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jess18 View Post
Thank you George and Mrsd.
I know about the Neurontin and Lyrica being similiar in action, and know that Lyrica is stronger. Also, the biovailability is higher with Lyrica than Neurontin. I knew about the higher you go on Neurontin, the less is absorbed and found that interesting, but yet wondered if that was the case, why did people go much higher on the Neurontin. Anyhow, I suppose I was wondering if I would have more of an even stream of " good days" with less burning on the Lyrica, than some unpredictability on the Neurontin. I do have good days, but then I have weeks where I spend 4 days on the couch.
I have tried lidocaine ointment, and liocaine/prilocaine cream ( EMLA) but combined with my current regime. I could not see only taking them and nothing else. I do see what you mean about the patches and the area of the spine, so it will be something to consider.
I suppose my original question should have been do people consistantly have more "good days" with a dullness or less burning on the Lyrica than they do on the Neurontin?

thanks
The Pfizer and ParkeDavis companies were the ones who encouraged doctors to use those massive doses of Neurontin.
Never mind that more than 1/2 of those high doses were not absorbed. It made them alot of money, and people just pooped out what was not absorbed.

Lyrica is not "stronger"....it is more potent, milligram for milligram. That means you use just less. It is not "more efficient for pain". It is easier to dose, and compliance on the patient's end is easier. When people have to take more pills, they often mess it up or skip. The fewer pills the better the compliance. That is why many drugs end up as Long Acting dosage forms.

I do not think I have seen any reports that Lyrica is "stronger" or more efficient at comparable doses. It is basically the same.
In general it appears that patients have to get to the really high doses of Lyrica to see good pain
relief. This is very expensive and some insurances will not pay for it still.

The fact that you do not see much relief from topical lidocaines at the local tissue level you are applying them at suggests the pain trigger is not there, but higher up along the nerves.
I found Lidoderm patches very ineffective when applied where I felt pain, and far more effective higher along the axon paths where the nerves go to. Topical lidocaine on mucus membranes may cause a rebound throbbing when they wear off. I never had a rebound when using the patches like that. (you have to take the patches off for 12 hrs each day.--you only wear them 12hrs at a time).

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
jess18 (11-06-2008)