View Single Post
Old 11-06-2008, 06:31 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I'm glad you are doing well and getting good help. I hadn't realised you were experiencing depersonalization too, our experiences are very similar. I suffered dp acutely for several months so that my sense of time and space got screwy and I felt completely detached from my emotions, memory and self. It's a really scary thing to experience after you've hit your head because you naturally presume it's brain damage. In fact many people who haven't hit their heads who experience dp are convinced they have a tumor or some form of serious brain disorder (they are of course physically perfectly healthy)! DP also comes with its own set of symptomatic partners like tinnitus, visual snow, poor concentration, low awareness, depression, anxiety etc....all of which are common symptoms of PCS! It gets very confusing but the thing to remember is that these are symptoms of a brain/mind that is out of balance rather than physically damaged and will disappear as that balance slowly restores. And for that to happen it needs rest and as little stress as possible. I'm speaking from experience here rather than as a qualified pro but I know what's helped me and our experiences seem very similar.

The way to beat the DP is to just leave it alone. Understand that it's your mind's way of blocking out stress and that it can't hurt you (though it is very unpleasant) and it WILL go away in time. Try to just carry on with life as normal as possible and keep yourself occupied with things that you enjoy. Maintain social contact too with your friends and family. All these things will slowly reassure your mind that reality is no longer a threat. Don't drink or smoke weed either! It might take some months and don't expect it to be a perfect upwardly linear recovery but you'll get there.
benjamin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote