View Single Post
Old 11-07-2008, 12:58 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Relationships: Finding a new companion

There are a number of reasons I am starting this thread. As a community we have all been following Steve's visit out to Seattle to visit Laura (Harley), and the relationship that is unfolding in front of us. Up until now, not much has been said about relationships that form both within the PD community after old marriages self-destruct, or are left hanging by a thread due to PD in our lives.
It is probably present in many more places than are ever brought forward to the forum.

Well I'm throwing it out on the table for discussion. For me it has become a personal issue, but I'm willing to forgo privacy for the sake of information sharing and its benefits to all and any who care to read.

Other than AJ and Greg Wasson, I'm not really aware of any other "Parkinson pairing" that has taken place, but that could be just my oversight. For myself, Steve and Laura's open sharing of their experience of getting together is very close to home as I have had a frienship via e-mail with Steve for most of the 5 years I've been on this board, and Laura used to keep a PLWP journal back when I was first on that website, and I care deeply for both of them. I have found a promising companionshp here also. In case you were wondering Max and Rosebud have been entertaining the idea that we could have a viable relationship and have been working out our options since last summer. (and kept it off the site until Steve let the cat out of the bag...thanks Steve LOL) It is not as simple as it was before PD, and
will probably not get any simpler. We ask ourselves....are we crazy?

We can think of 100 reasons not to get involved in each others lives, but when we get together we have a great time and we are the "normal ones" and the rest of the world is different. We sit in a restaurant both dyskinetic but totally oblivious to all the polite people who cast a glance or just plain stare. We trip over our own feet and both laugh....it's a good feeling. We know it would be difficult at best to establish a relationship with a caregiver (Not a sexy term). We live "one day at a time", and "play it by ear". We try to take turns at being off...doesn't always work, but we laugh about that too.

I know there are some interesting insights to be posted in the days ahead.
Please share your experience if it's relevant, and your thoughts and opinions...even your questions. I posted this without telling Max what I was doing...maybe I just shot myself in the foot! Hope not