View Single Post
Old 11-07-2008, 10:56 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Laura, it is my (personal) experience that the doctors and neuros here are generally extremely conservative about dishing out meds, unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. They will encourage us to try to find ways to manage without putting more chemicals in our bodies, including using change of diet, natural methods, etc. before resorting to an "easy fix".

Fortunately that happens to agree with my philosophy anyway, but there have been times that I have heard about something that I think might be helpful and have approached my doc/neuro. 9 times out of 10, they will suggest everything else they can think of for me to try before they "give in" and rx a med.

This was true with leaving my job too. My doc spent two years encouraging me to "hang on" to see what would happen, as he knew there was no turning back once I admitted defeat (the system is too rigid to be whimsical about such a decision). Since then, they have both supported me 100% with that decision and would FIGHT on my behalf if there was any question of whether I can or can't work.

HOWEVER, when I have given an honest try to manage a problem through their suggestions, and it still doesn't work . . . or when something they have suggested actually makes another problem that is less bearable . . . they always back down.

There are no easy fixes to what we experience with MS. Even if we can find a med to "help" with some of our problems, often it has to be increased to remain effective, or it loses it's effectiveness over time anyway, or the med itself causes other problems, or a few months later we appear at their door with another problem that is equally troubling.

I have heard of so many people who are so "super-drugged", no one can figure out what is even causing or fixing problems any more.

Someone once told me that "change will occur when things get BAD enough", and I have found this to be true. Once you REALLY believe there is no way to manage this problem so that it's bearable for you, you will stand your ground very firmly, and your doc/neuro will back down.

Cherie
"Thanks for this!" says:
CayoKay (11-09-2008), dmplaura (11-07-2008), FinLady (11-08-2008), Gazelle (11-07-2008)